This trip is an absolute must for keen wreck divers. The wrecks we will be diving are from the Battle of Port-en-Bessin and are steeped in history. The wildlife on the wrecks is phenomenal for this non-take area, so there is something for everyone!
The Battle of Port-en-Bessin also known as Operation Aubery took place from 6–8 June 1944, at a small fishing harbour west of Arromanches during the Normandy landings of World War II. The village was between Omaha Beach to the west in the U.S. V Corps sector, and Gold Beach to the east in the British XXX Corps sector. An objective during Operation Overlord, the fortified port was captured by No. 47 (Royal Marine) Commando of the 4th Special Service Brigade.
We will be setting sail from Brighton on Channel Diver on the morning of the 5th of June to dive some of the historic wrecks from this monumental battle. All of the sites will be suitable for recreational divers (must have qualification to 40m) and technical divers (who may have longer bottom times).
Channel Diver is a 36ft catamaran with a transom mount Dive Lift, licenced to carry 12 passengers (we are limiting to 10 for this trip) and 3 crew (including our favourite skipper, Steve Johnson). Channel Diver is set up for diving and has excellent safety facilities.
Itinerary (please note itinerary is dependent on weather):
- 5th of June
- 07:00 ropes off at Brighton Marina
- Dive 1 – Barsac: 30-38m
- 18:00 arrive Port-en-Bessin and check in to accommodation
- 6th of June
- Dive 1 – German Minesweeper M39: 33m
- Anchor at Arromanche for lunch
- Dive 2 – Susan B Anthony (American Troopship): 26m
- 7th of June
- Dive 1 – Empire Broadsword (British Troopship): 30m
- Dive 2 – LST 523 (Sherman Tank LST): 25m
- 8th of June
- Dive 1 – German E’boat Grief: 30m or Unknown Warship: 33m
- Dive 2 – HMS Sesame: 25m
- 9th of June
- Dive 1 – FDT215 (Fighter Direction Tender): 42m or HMS Computator: 39m
- 18:00 return to Brighton Marina
The 5 day trip to Port-en-Bessin is £490 plus £100 for accommodation (non-refundable) and includes:
– boat leaving from and returning to Brighton
– air (please note we can hire cylinders if required)
– 4 nights accommodation at the campsite (in a large mobile home)
Not included are:
In order to secure your place on this trip, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org