The world famous Scapa Flow wrecks of the World War I German High Seas fleet, alongside many other historic wrecks in Scapa Flow, are some of the most highly rated wrecks in the world. At accessible depths and steeped in history, it’s not surprising that this is on many a divers wish list.
As part of the Armistice agreement at the end World War I, Germany had to surrender most of its fleet. A total of 74 ships of the German High Seas Fleet arrived in Scapa Flow for internment. On 21 June 1919, under the mistaken belief that peace talks had failed, Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter gave the command to scuttle the entire fleet in the Flow. A total of 52 ships went to the seafloor and this remains the greatest loss of shipping ever recorded in a single day. The majority of the German ships were raised in one of the largest ever salvage operations in history, but there are still a number of these wrecks available for us to dive!
Our planned dives will be from 12 – 18m at the beginning of the week and increasing to a maximum of 35m at the end of the week, so a Deep Diver qualification is a must and a Nitrox certification is highly recommended. Please let us know if you would like us to arrange any training for you prior to the trip.
We will be diving from and staying on MV-Valkyrie, a fantastic liveaboard vessel. Accommodation is in twin cabins and there is a warm, comfortable lounge to relax in. The saloon provides ample space for all to enjoy the delicious food on board!
- 23rd of September – board MV Valkyrie in Stromness in Orkney – please let us know if you’d like travel advice
- 24th of September – 29th of September – eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, sleep, repeat!
- 29th of September – end of trip in Stromness. All must be off the boat by 9am on the 30th of September latest.
- £650 for diving (including air) and diving
- approximately £150 for food on board for 3 meals a day, payable at the end of the week
- any nitrox fills obtained on the boat, payable on board
In order to book, please email us with availability at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07792 723 938. In order to secure a place, a deposit of £250 must have been received either by payment over the phone at 07792 723 938 or by BACS transfer to our account, details of which we can send to you by email or text.